Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

This is Sikha from Mumbai, would like to know the difference between a Smart card and RFID Card, I know a bit about RFID cards coz we are using this in our organization to get our employees punching time and attendance, could you please explain what smartcard is and what are its features

Regards,
      Sikha Sekhar

• Amal

Hi Sikha,

Greetings!

I apprecaite your taking the time to write to us.

Contactless Smart Cards often called as smartcards or chip cards is an advance version of the usual RFID cards (Radio Frequecy Identification) in common both have a chip which is embedded in a piece of plastic, when a smartcard or RFID tag passes within range, a reader sends out radio frequency electromagnetic waves, then the antenna tuned to receive these waves, wakes up the chip in the smartcard or RFID and a wireless communication channel is set up between the reader and the cards.

The Contactless Smart card contains a microprocessor, a small but real computer that makes calculations, communicates both ways, remembers new information and actively uses these capabilities for security and many other applications, where as the RFID tags are devices that typically have a read only chip that stores a unique number but has no processing capability. It is more like a radio based bar code used mostly for identification (hence radio frequency identification)

Features :

Smart Card –

1.  Strong Security Capacities:

a. mutual authentication before providing access to information
      b. access can be further protected via pin or biometric
      c. encryption to protect data on card during exchange
      d. hardware and software protection to combat attacks or counterfeiting

2. Hundreds of security features mean an individuals personal ID, financial details, payment transactions,
        transit fares or physical access privileges can be safely stored, managed and exchanged.
      3. Read and write memory capacity of 512 bytes and up, with very large memory storage possible
      4. Short distance data exchange, typically two inches

RFID

1. Minimal

a. One-way authentication; card cannot protect itself
      b. insufficient storage for biometrics
      c. no on-chip calculations of new informatio
      d. relies on static keys

2. Single function; used to help machines identify objects to increase efficiency
        Eg: Inventory control

3. Small memory (92 bytes); often read only

4. larger distance data exchange

Because of their more restricted capabilities, RFID cards are generally cheaper

I hope that the above answers your questions satisfactorily

Best Regards,
      Amal.S

• Sikha Sekhar

Hi Amal,

Many thanks for the information, so after going through the features of the Smartcard I dont think we have an immediate requirement for this, but yes we have requirements for RFID devices which can restrict the entry of unauthorized personnels espcially in our labs and Qualtiy Assurance departments.

Im looking for a solution that can give me following information :

1. List of employees who has entered the lab, especailly the restricted areas.
      2. Need to get a notification message at the time of entry and exit.
      3. Time spent in the labs and Qualtiy Assurance departments
      4. Employee availability on realtime basis, which means here the HR manager on real time basis should see the availability of employees.

Let me know what solution can you recommend for this.

Regards,
      Sikha Sekhar

• Amal

Hi Sikha,

Greetings!

Thank you for sharing and detailing your requirements.

Yes for sure we have a solution for you, first I request you to decide the deivce that you would prefer.
      We have three types of devices 1.Face Recognition Devices 2.Finger Print 3. RFID devices

Please visit our website to see the device models and its features
      http://www.lenvica.com/all-devices/

Here is the link to download the trial version of Lenvica HRMS HR software.
      http://www.lenvica.com/download-attendhrm/

Further I've also attached some of our sample reports, please have a look into it.

Best Regards,
      Amal.S

Attachments:

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.